Rapid City Cycle

11"X14" Oil on canvas


This one is a couple of years old. I had an ambition at one time to do a series of local landmarks but I ran out of steam. At least I started do "daily paintings' and they sapped all my energy so that I had nothing left for larger pieces.

I think the great appeal of the little paintings is that they are so much less of a commitment. When it is just a 5"X7" and only takes an hour or two I feel that it doesn't matter if the result is uninteresting or second rate. When I have wasted a whole lot of paint and time on an expensive canvas and at the end of it I feel that the subject and composition weren't worth the effort, I get very depressed.

This painting is SOLD

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. I love your vignettes into the local towns and countryside. Great painting. I totally agree with what you are saying. Why do we get so serious with the larger works? Is it simply the time and cost? And yes, the commitment. That is a good word. The smaller ones are just a "quick" little image, nothing serious. And the depression after being dissatisfied with a larger work is very real. I go through that a lot. A very complicated bunch we artists are :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts