The Golden Section






40"X8" Oil on prepared panel



I spent today working on my Monthly Painting so I thought I would pull one from the archives again.


As I just sold this one last week I though it would be a good candidate. The title is a pun of course, the proportions are far from the golden mean but this shabby little row of shops all seem to be owned by the "Golden Brothers". I had fun doing it although it was a lot of work. I photographed each building separately and then pasted them together. I took this and drew a draft on a roll of shelf paper, adjusting for perspective as I went along. Finally I transferred the whole thing onto a panel that I had wrapped in canvas and prepared with old fashioned gesso.


I definitely had qualms halfway through this one. I really wasn't sure why I was bothering with it and it languished in my cupboard for some time but it finally redeemed itself and has now gone to a good home.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah
    I have already posted a message on your other blog, but visiting this blog I have more information and see you have sold it. Well done. I am sure they will be very happy.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the short, wide format on this piece; perfect for your subject. I have a couple of long panels I made for such wide panoramas but so far haven't figured out what I want to paint on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure did take a lot of work but the end result's awesome. They'll surely be happy with it. It's interesting how long some paintings can stay before finding a new owner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful Sarah. I love the shape and the colours you have chosen Would be great to see it up close!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts