Sunday, 8 November 2009

Seagull

7"X5" Acrylic on board


Herring Gulls are ubiquitous. This one is quite young, he still has some of his juvenile spots in evidence on his neck and head.

I grew up by the sea and got used to seeing them everywhere, they are sea-gulls after all. The Herring Gulls were only one of several species one would see on Worthing beach. There were Black-headed Gulls and Great and Lesser Black-backed Gulls, as well as terns, divers, sandpipers and plovers. It was only when I found myself in the centre of this vast continent that I realized just how far the Herring Gulls disperse. Anywhere around the Great Lakes they are almost as common as they are by the ocean. I am not sure how far away from the Lakes they can be found. I don't think I have ever seen any in the desert, but I am willing to be corrected.



Posted by Picasa