More Green Room Lunchers




7"X5.5" Pencil on paper

For any of you who are not familiar with the term, "green room" is used throughout the English-speaking world to describe the space used by performers for relaxation before and during shows. The first recorded use was apparently 1701 but there seems to be little consensus on the origin of this term. Some have suggested that it dates back to the time when performances were almost always outside and the actors were obliged to take their breaks on "the green". Wikipedia cites no less than eight possible explanations. Anyone know any of the words used in other languages? I am afraid I don't even know what it is in French.


Our current green room is a fairly recent addition and has many functions. It is also a cafeteria with a very good kitchen and an extra meeting room/workspace. Because we need to spread out to do the seating plans we use it for this too, consequently I spent most of my week there. This gave me lots of opportunity to observe my fellow workers, if not much time to draw them.



I rely on the fact that I don't draw a very good likeness to protect me from the ire of my co-workers. I presume that they will never recognize themselves should they chance upon this blog.


Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts