View

7"X5" Mixed media on paper

This might well be the last of the Puerto Rico paintings, although I do still have quite a few sketches that I might post sometime. Spring is well advanced here in the Niagara Peninsula and I really must get back to painting some local scenes.

This is the view behind the laundry, painted while standing at the railing on the porch. The white roof in the distance is a condominium, locally referred to as the "Iranian Embassy". It is quite hideous but fortunately Rincon's beach front buildings are not too tall and there are still plenty of magnificent views.

The tree on the right is called an almond, although it is nothing like the almond trees that grow further north which are similar to apricots or peaches. This tree is deciduous but goes through a very short "winter". While I was there its leaves turned red and dropped off but the new leaves where already budding on the branches before I left. In the foreground you can see the distinctive leaves of bananas and papayas.


Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. What a lovely scene this is. I have been enjoying a glimpse of Puerto Rico through these paintings and sketches. This is a lovely composition. I could see a larger painting of this in an Henri Rousseau style. Painting larger does require a dedicated space..your house looks large enough to accommodate a spot just for you.
    You are right..the Niagara region is so beautiful right now. An inspiration every day. If I lived out that way, I would like to join Jan Yates plein air group.
    Are those your dogs in the paintings? Were they with you on vacation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister stays in Rincon every winter and she and her partner have a house there, where I stayed. The dogs are hers and play a very important role in daily life. Thanks for your comments, I have really enjoyed getting these paintings done before I lost the sense of place. I find that I can paint from photographs so long as they are my own and so long as I have a deep familiarity with the subject.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts