April Sunshine




9"X6" oil on board

We hear a lot about April showers but it is April sunshine that we really love.

This one is from a photograph, not taken with my lovely new DSLR but an ultra low-resolution shot taken with my phone. I find that these can be quite successful if I am painting a view with which I am very familiar, like this one which I pass every day on my way to work. It is as if the scene is etched onto my brain and the snapshot is just an aide-memoir. They are fun but so incredibly easy as to seem a little like shooting fish in a barrel. I am not sure why I think that painting should be hard, but I feel a little guilty unless I have sweated over it.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. shhh dont say April showers, I enjoyed a refreshing bit of sunshine yesterday!
    Lovely scene, I know what you mean about taking shots with the phone and its a lot easier to carry around;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out very nicely. The realism is very evident and the feeling of time and place are strong. I've always struggled with the idea of the longer you work the better the art. It's funny though, I prefer things that take less time and often abandon long projects out of boredom. The older I get, the more I want the piece done and over with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspire me!
    I've been struggling these past few months, wanting to get back to the easel, but not quite making things happen consistently. Your idea is perfect...just work.
    Thank you!!!
    Clint

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts