Self Portrait 1




4"X6" Oil on panel


It has been many years since I have attempted a self-portrait and the intervening years have not been kind. The result is both more and less hideous than the reality and even more humbling than this daily painting exercise is wont to be anyway. Is my face really that long? Probably not, although long and narrow has always been one of its defining characteristics. Nonetheless, I need to do more portraits and life studies and the self-portrait is the time-honoured method for honing that skill. I used a small make-up mirror, I was tempted to use the other side which would have given me a more abstract and even less recognizable picture, I may try that another time. I think I am going to try to do a self portrait every week or so in various different media.


Update on the digital picture frame: I ended up taking it back, it turned out to be a piece of junk. It had a flicker which started after about 30 seconds, I was going to start rolling on the floor and foaming at the mouth. You get what you pay for I guess, and it was cheap.



Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts