Against Another Day




7"X5" Acrylic on board

I am still having some difficulty finding my muse. This is from a photo I took a month ago at the same time that I did a sketch. I tried to use the photo, which was a very low-res cellphone picture, just as a starting point. I didn't refer to the sketch either. I am trying to work less literally and to use my memory and imagination more.

I am still struggling with my commission which is a pet portrait, not one of my strengths. It is made especially difficult because I don't have a good reference photo of the two animals together, just a bunch of snapshots, some of which I took myself and some taken by the client. I am trying to come up with a montage that works but I still have deep misgivings.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. You may not have found your "Muse", but you certainly find inspiration in the scenes in your area, which is full of variety and beauty. You suffer from being able to draw and paint pretty much anything you want, and therefore, it is more difficult to know which direction you want to go in. When I stopped doing the "realistic" painting and needed a direction, I searched books, magazines, and the internet until I found a style that really "moved" me. I would question myself whether I would want to hang that picture on my wall and live with it. I discovered that what I really loved was the looser exprssive brush strokes in a more impressionist style. I bought some books and decided to "go to school" and learn how to paint that way. (sorry for all the parenthesis :)) Anyway, it has been difficult to break away from old habits, but I am going to keep trying.
    About the pet portrait...I sympathize with you. I have done so many and they were all terrible to do. I wish I could offer suggestions...perhapes if you posted some pics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments are always so considered and to the point Catherine. Thanks so much for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts