The Boy in the Car




5"X7" Oil on board

I don't do many figures, let alone portraits so I really need the practice. I used the same limited palette for this that I used for the winter forest scene yesterday, minus the terre verte. I think it works quite well for a portrait, especially one with this sombre mood. The woman who recommended it (I wish I could remember who) called it the "Old Master Palette", but that can't really be accurate. The two siennas have certainly been available since the dawn of time but paynes grey is a relatively recent invention and includes ultramarine, which was very expensive until it was sythesized in the 19th(?) century. I need to research this further, I am sure it is all in Phillip Ball's excellent book Bright Earth: Art and the Invention of Color.

Edit: Got it, it was Exploring Colorby Nita Leland.







Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. I love this painting. This guy is quite pensive and could be going to work, dinner, or even court, on either side of the bench! It's a bit mysterious, and I love your explanation of the palette. I don't give enough thought to the history of different pigments, but this has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think the palette works pretty well for your portrait. You should do more figures cos you've got what it takes!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts